Copyright © 2012 All Rights Reserved.
How to engage the slide show:
click on the first image on the left of the gallery below, then select the arrow at the bottom left of the enlarged image. Or you can manually go to the next slide by hovering your cursor on the middle right side then clicking the arrow that appears. Hover your cursor on the middle left side then click the arrow that appears to go backwards. Close the slide show or manual show by clicking the X button on the lower right of the image. (The image of each item is followed by an image of that item's back or reverse side.)
Acknowledgments, References and information for this category are at the bottom of this page.
An Educational Resource for Button Collectors - originally created by Paul Rice
Copyright © 2012 All Rights Reserved. Website redesigned and Maintained by
To download and print a pdf of the history and information about Bridle Rosettes .
Some descriptions of these buttons may be cut off. Full descriptions can be seen in the slide show mode.
Div. IV Section 1 : Bridle Rosettes
Credits and References Credits:
1. , by Matthew of Paris, c. 1250
Special Thanks to Ron Thomas who provided a number of references cited and made his collection of bridle rosettes available for the majority of the images shown on these pages. Others who contributed reviews, comments and images included Judy Schwenk, June Chapman, Barbara Barrans, Pat Koehler, Debra Wisniewski, Jane Perry, Lou Yeargain, Ronnie Wexler, and Sally Gibson. A special thanks to Joan Lindsay & Joy Journeay for their expert editing skills!
(1) Bridle Rosettes by Joseph W. Anderson - Just Buttons, March 1953
(2) Bridle Buttons by Dorothy Foster Brown - Hobbies, August 1978
(3) Bridle Rosettes by Louann Chaudier - Western Horseman, August 1997
(4) Bridle Rosettes by Dr. Ralph Merkle - Spinning Wheel, Jan/Feb 1963
(5) Rosettes by Charles Nash - North/South Civil War Traders, Vol. XXVI (date unknown)
(6) Bridle Rosettes by Clara Nisbet - Spinning Wheel, May 1964
(7) Bridle Rosettes by Thelma Shull - Hobbies, April 1943
(8) Horse Bridle Rosettes by Paul S. Smith - Just Buttons, Feb 1958
(9) Bridle Rosettes by Ruth Ann White - Missouri State Button Society Bulletin, Winter/January 2009 (Volume 61 Number 1)
(10) National Button Society Blue Book, 2013 - 2017, Official NBS Classification and Competition Guidelines Current